Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First day on the job.

Well, today I started my summer internship with the Springfield Cardinals baseball team. The day started about 2:30 p.m. at the stadium. I shadowed one of the current interns, who has been working there since the season began. He gave me the run-down of the day. First, I work on the game script for the PA announcer as well as the schedule for the game. I then distribute those to different personnel around the stadium. Once this is completed, the fun begins. I staple between 250-400 media packets together for the team store. I actually did that today. That took a little over an hour. Once that's finished, I make sure everything else is a go so we can commence the game. The two hours before the game is probably the best part. I eat one meal that the Cardinals staff brings into the office. After that, I head up to the radio box and get ready for the game. With an hour or so to go, I walk into the press box and eat more food! Unfortunately, it was the same meal, but food is food. Once the game begins, I start keeping score, writing down key moments and even tweet a little. My boss, Jeff, told me to write the post-game wrap up. This sums up the game and is later posted online. This part was the most difficult, especially since there were 17 runs scored in the game. That was a lot to write about! I started writing it about the sixth inning and finished up an half and hour after the last pitch. Overall, I enjoyed my first day and hope for better ones later in the summer. Tomorrow I head over to the stadium at 9 a.m. to shadow the other intern, and then Thursday I am on my own. I'll write again on Thursday updating on my first real experience as an intern.

P.S. Here is a link to what I wrote today. (Don't mind the ",p>" in the second the last paragraph. I didn't include that.)
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120501&content_id=30163446&vkey=news_t440&fext=.jsp&sid=t440

No comments:

Post a Comment